Week A: 18-22 March 2018 arriving in New York on March 14th
Week B: 25-29 March 2018arriving in New York on March 21st
The National Model United Nations New York – New York (NMUN•NY) is the biggest UN simulation in the world, reserved for university students.
It is held every year in New York with the participation of more than 5,000 students from all over the world. The program is managed by the National Collegiate Conference Association (NCCA) with the support of the United Nations Department of Public Information (UNDPI).
In addition to simulation sessions, the program entails: opening and closing ceremonies of the event; a guest-speaker program with representatives and experts of international institutions; Mission Briefings with diplomatic representatives of the assigned country; voting sessions and Closing ceremony in the General Assembly and ECOSOC halls at the UN headquarters.
To benefit the most from the NMUN•NY program, participants are required to possess specific knowledge and operational skills. Consules has therefore created a training program focused on enabling each team to compete in the best possible way.
The training course is divided into the following modules:
- International Relations: political analysis of the country being represented and its policies at the United Nations; introduction to UN agenda items; rules for the drafting of ‘position papers’ that summarize the country’s position with regard to issues on the agenda.
- Resolution and Report Drafting: the theoretical framework and operational information for the drafting of formal UN documents.
- Speech and Public Speaking: strengthening public-speaking and negotiating skills in English.
- Procedural Rules: explanation of the procedures that govern interaction within the simulation.
- Simulation: there will be a trial simulation in Rome of one or more of the committees to put into practice the acquired notions and expertise in preparation for the experience abroad.
The course contains 40 hours of lessons and 40 hours of practice exercises. Each student is also asked to do individual research and study amounting to roughly 50 hours.
The staff in charge of the training course belongs to the Consules Research Committee. Experts from international institutions and authoritative faculty will also intervene in the initiative as speakers and advisors.
Certificates and Academic Credits
In compliance with the call for participant released by Consules, every participant will receive a certificate of participation issued by Consules and certificate issued by NCCA. If agreed upon by the participants’ universities/departments, students can also receive university credits towards their degree, with the exact number depending on the decision made by each institution.
To be accepted as a participant in the NMUN•NY program, students have to fill out the enrollment form on-line and pay a € 10.00 administration fee.
Candidates will also have to demonstrate an adequate knowledge of English. The evaluation will be in the form of an on-line interview with a language expert.
The applications will be examined on a weekly basis until all positions are filled, i.e. as the positions available are limited, once the limit has been reached, applications will no longer be considered.
Exemption from the oral examination
The candidates who send Consules a certificate proving their knowledge of English, through the application form or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org , will be exempt from the oral examination. The certificates must be valid on the date of the enrollment deadline and belong to the following list:
- Cambridge ESOL (First Certificate or higher);
- IELTS (5.0 minimum score);
- TOEFL (minimum score IBT 64, CBT 180, PBT 510);
- Trinity (minimum score level 9);
- University certificates (minimum score level B2).
Former Consules delegates who attended a MUN program within the last 5 year will be exempt from the oral examination.
Further information about the participation process can be found in the Call for participants available on this webpage.
The participation fee for the NMUN•NY project is € 1,990.00 and includes:
- Training course
- Education material
- Delegate kit
- Registration fee for MUN•ROME
- Registration Fee for NMUN•NY
- Roundtrip airfare* to and from New York
- 10-day/9-night** stay at the partner hotel in Times Square
- Airport-hotel transfers in New York
- Insurance while abroad
* The participation fee does not include airport taxes and fuel surcharges.
** You can extend your stay in New York for 3 extra nights.
The procedure to access scholarships, funded by Consules, Universities, and Corporations, are indicated by the specific calls for participants available on this page.