Registration will open March 1st 2018. In the meantime, fill out the pre-application form to be notified immediately once the new Call for participants will be available!
The National Model United Nations – Washington DC (NMUN•DC) is a strong academic oriented simulation of the UN yearly organized in the United States Capital, Washington DC.
The program is managed by the National Collegiate Conference Association (NCCA) in partnership with the Osgood Center for International Studies.
Schools and students come from all over the world. Every year over 1,000 delegates take part to the Conference. The Simulation includes briefings by distinguished speakers from the Washington DC diplomatic community.
After the Washington DC Conference you can spend 4 extra days in New York City
To obtain the most benefit from the NMUN•DC, participants will have to possess certain basic knowledge and operational expertise.
Consules has therefore created a training program focused on making each team able to compete in the best possible way.
The two-month training course is divided into the following modules:
- International Relations: political analysis of the country being represented and its policies at the United Nations; introduction to UN agenda items; rules for the drafting of ‘position papers’ that summarize the country’s position with regard to issues on the agenda.
- Resolution and Report Drafting: the theoretical framework and operational information for the drafting of formal UN documents.
- Speech and Public Speaking: strengthening public-speaking and negotiating skills in English.
- Procedural Rules: explanation of the procedures that govern interaction within the simulation.
- Simulation: there will be a trial simulation in class to put into practice the acquired notions and expertise in preparation for the final conference.
The course contains 30 hours of lessons and 20 hours of practice exercises. Each student is also asked to do individual research and study amounting to roughly 30 hours.
The staff in charge of the training course belongs to the Consules Research Committee. Experts from international institutions and authoritative faculty will also intervene in the initiative as speakers and advisors.
Certificates and Academic Credits
In compliance with the public notice for participation released by Consules, every participant will receive a certificate of participation. If envisaged by the participants’ universities/departments, students can also receive university credits towards their degrees, with the exact number depending on the decision made by each institution.
To be accepted as a participant in the NMUN•DC program, students have to fill out the enrollment form on-line and pay a € 10.00 administration fee.
Candidates will also have to demonstrate an adequate knowledge of English. The evaluation will be in the form of an on-line interview with a language expert.
Exemption from the oral examination
The candidates who send Consules a certificate proving their knowledge of English, through the application form or sending an email to email@example.com , will be exempt from the oral examination. The certificates must be valid on the date of the enrollment deadline and belong to the following list:
- Cambridge ESOL (First Certificate or higher);
- IELTS (5.0 minimum score);
- TOEFL (minimum score IBT 64, CBT 180, PBT 510);
- Trinity (minimum score level 9);
- University certificates (minimum score level B2).
Former Consules delegates who attended a MUN program within the last 5 years will be exempt from the oral examination.
Further information about the participation process can be found in the Call for participants available in this section starting March 1st 2018.
The participation fee for the NMUN•DC project is €1390 and includes:
- Training course
- Education material
- Delegate kit
- Registration Fee for NMUN•DC
- Roundtrip airfare to and from the United States*
- Hotel accommodation for 7 days and 6 nights at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
- Airport-hotel transfers in the United States
- Insurance while abroad
It is possible to extend the period abroad adding 4 extra days in New York City at the additional cost of € 399
*The participation fee does not include airport taxes and fuel surcharges.