Panama, 11-18 March 2018
WorldMUN is a diplomatic simulation of the United Nations organized by Harvard University.
It is held, every year, in a different city that thus has the chance of showcasing all of its beauties and marvels to the 2,000 plus participants. The 2018 edition will be held in Panama.
Together with the simulations, participants will benefit from a series of training and socialization initiatives with colleagues from all around the world.
To benefit the most from the WorldMUN program, participants are required to possess specific knowledge and operational skills. Consules has therefore created a training program focused on enabling each team to compete in the best possible way.
The training course is divided into the following modules:
- International Relations: political analysis of the country being represented and its policies at the United Nations; introduction to UN agenda items; rules for the drafting of ‘position papers’ that summarize the country’s position with regard to issues on the agenda.
- Resolution and Report Drafting: the theoretical framework and operational information for the drafting of formal UN documents.
- Speech and Public Speaking: strengthening public-speaking and negotiating skills in English.
- Procedural Rules: explanation of the procedures that govern interaction within the simulation.
- Simulation: there will be a trial simulation in Rome of one or more of the committees to put into practice the acquired notions and expertise in preparation for the experience abroad.
The course contains 40 hours of lessons and 40 hours of practice exercises. Each student is also asked to do individual research and study amounting to roughly 50 hours.
The staff in charge of the training course belongs to the Consules Research Committee. Experts from international institutions and authoritative faculty will also intervene in the initiative as speakers and advisors.
Certificates and Academic Credits
In compliance with the call for participant released by Consules, every participant will receive a certificate of participation issued by Consules and certificate issued by WorldMUN. If agreed upon by the participants’ universities/departments, students can also receive university credits towards their degree, with the exact number depending on the decision made by each institution.
To be accepted as a participant in the WorldMUN program, students have to fill out the enrollment form on-line and pay a € 10.00 administration fee.
Candidates will also have to demonstrate an adequate knowledge of English. The evaluation will be in the form of an on-line interview with a language expert.
The applications will be examined on a weekly basis until all positions are filled, i.e. as the positions available are limited, once the limit has been reached, applications will no longer be considered.
Exemption from the oral examination
The candidates who send Consules a certificate proving their knowledge of English, through the application form or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org , will be exempt from the oral examination. The certificates must be valid on the date of the enrollment deadline and belong to the following list:
- Cambridge ESOL (First Certificate or higher);
- IELTS (5.0 minimum score);
- TOEFL (minimum score IBT 64, CBT 180, PBT 510);
- Trinity (minimum score level 9);
- University certificates (minimum score level B2).
Former Consules delegates who attended a MUN program within the last 5 year will be exempt from the oral examination.
Further information about the participation process can be found in the call for participants available on this webpage.
The participation fee for the WorldMUN project is € 1,590.00* and includes:
*for students enrolled within 31st October 2017. €1,690.00 for students enrolled after 31st October 2017
- Training course
- Education material
- Delegate kit
- Registration fee for MUN•ROME
- Registration Fee for WorldMUN
- Roundtrip airfare** to and from Panama
- 8-day/7-night stay in a 4 stars hotel
- Airport-hotel transfers in Panama
- Insurance while abroad
** The participation fee does not include airport taxes and fuel surcharges.
The procedure to access scholarships, funded by Consules, Universities, and Corporations, are indicated by the specific calls for participants available on this page.